If you are a small business owner and you want to take your business online then the very first thing you will need to do is make a website for it. I’m guessing you are here to find out how to do that and I’m going to give you some of the most common options in detail. I’ll tell you the strengths and weaknesses to each method and give you my personal recommendation.
The good news is that getting your own website built is much easier to do now than it ever was back in the day. What this means for you is that there are quite a few options available to you and some of those options are a lot cheaper than others.
To go along with that, if you needed some extra things added to your site like a page to display all your wares and a shopping cart checkout it is a very simple process to get those added. There is literally no need to be a programmer or a web designer in order for you to have an amazing looking website with the tools we have available today.
I’m sure you already know that putting your business on the web will bring in a lot more potential clients or customers, but that’s not all there is to it. You will also need to have an understanding of the process to correctly market your website. If that worries you, don’t be too worried because I will be addressing that in this post as well.
With that all said, let’s get right into it and start talking a few of the various ways you could go about having your own website.
Wix – A Website Builder
Wix is a full website package. The biggest part of Wix is the website builder, but they also offer hosting and domains as well. They offer a wide range of templates for many different niches out there which might match up with the type of business you are running.
You can choose any of these templates, which are already designed for you, and apply them to your website. All you really need to do is change up some of the text on the page, like the title, and if the rest of the design looks good to you then you are pretty much done.
Now, let’s talk about the pros and cons that come along with Wix.
- With the use of the drop down menu category options in their template selection section, you can find a template that matches up with whatever subject or niche your business falls under.
- As you saw with the previous example that I showed you, the template options on Wix are very well designed and look very professional. With just a few text modifications to the page, you could publish that template site and your website would be live and running.
- The time it takes to make one of these sites is very small. The only things that really take time are picking your template and switching out the default text.
- The number of templates available is somewhat limited. When you combine this with the fact that there are a large number of people using Wix you can start running into issues where your website might look VERY similar to someone else’s website.
- While the website editor is pretty nice, Wix itself doesn’t offer much in the way of customization other than visual options. There are other services out there that offer a lot more customization to the way your site functions, usually in the form of plugins.
- They offer a free option, but to be honest that option is very limited and as a business owner you probably don’t want Wix Ads on your site. In order to get more flexibility and options you have to upgrade to various memberships. Doing this can make Wix become a pricey option over time.
My advice to you is to only use Wix if you just intend to have a website out there on the web but don’t plan on doing any sort of marketing whatsoever. Wix won’t do anything for you in terms of teaching you about online marketing.
Get A Web Developer To Do It For You
This option might seem appealing to a lot of people solely because you don’t have to do anything when it comes to building the website. The trade-off that you face is almost always going to be the cost you have to pay for such services. Some web developers or designers will charge you well into the hundreds and in some cases into the thousands for a single website.
The other problem is that a lot of times you will hire someone that is either good at web development, so the behind the scenes stuff and cool features on your site, or they will be good at web design, so your website will look great but lack in special features and might run a little slower.
Any way you look at it, going this route just doesn’t seem that logical since there are so many website builders now available that cost you a fraction of what you will be paying out to a professional. Also, if you are on a smaller budget this option really isn’t an option at all.
There is a way that you can make your own website for free, though. Check this article out to find out more.
Build A Website With WordPress
You may have noticed that throughout this article I have been emphasizing marketing. There is actually a reason for this and I’ll explain what that reason is.
As an example, let’s say your business is plumbing supplies. You have a great local business and you provide parts for much of the city you live in. You’ve begun to notice that your business has plateaued and for that reason you are wanting to expand out onto the online world.
First, let’s look at the kind of business there is out there for plumbing supplies. To do this I personally use a really cool keyword tool called Jaaxy. It shows me that the keyword “plumbing supplies” get around 33,000 searches each month on average. That’s 33,000 potential customers just with that single search term alone!
If you learn all about marketing your business online then you can even learn to tap into other areas to reach more people that in the example above.
This is where my final recommendation, which I personally view as the best option, comes in.
There is a web platform, called Wealthy Affiliate, that offers its members all the tools, training, and support that they need to build a successful online business. To add a little more detail on what they offer:
- They offer a completely free training that takes you through the process of building your own WordPress website, which they give you two free websites to do this on.
- They offer a complete online marketing training that covers everything you need to build your website in a way that gets you the most exposure possible for both worldwide and local markets.
Like I said a bit ago, this is the option I recommend. You know that your website is exactly what you want it to be because you build it yourself. You get all the proper training needed to make sure that website reaches the most people that it can. If you ever run into a snag or just want to bounce ideas around, there is a HUGE community available to lend you their knowledge at any point. This is all done through Wealthy Affiliate.
Getting a website up and running isn’t a difficult task, which is why there are so many business owners doing just that. The problem is that the majority of them don’t go any further than getting that website out there, which translates into a stagnant website with no customers.
That’s why I have been bringing marketing up so much. It is 100% necessary if you want to have a website that gets any attention from the online world. By using the process I talk about above you can get everything you need to capture many more customers that you ever could in just your local market.
If you have any comments or questions about building a website for your online business, please leave a comment below! As always, I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂